- Medical Teacher working for women’s Health and Research
- Professor & Head of the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, Government Medical College & Hospital Aurangabad (MS)
- Dean of Govt. Medical College- 2016
- Nominated and short listed for the post of Vice-Chancellor Maharashtra University of Health Sciences Nasik-2016
- Elected as president of AMOGS –Association of Maharashtra Obstetrics and Gynecological Societies 2016-1018
- Vice President – FOGSI– Federation of Obstetrics & Gynecological Societies of India (2007) National organization of twenty-nine thousand Gynecologist
- Chairperson Clinical Research Committee , FOGSI (2004- 2008)
- Chancellors’ nominee, Management council member MUHS (2007-2012)
After passing out MD in the subject of obstetrics and Gynecology in 1983 from Nagpur university, Nagpur Dr.Kananbala Yelikar had a dream of becoming a medical teacher and at the same time give services to the poor and needy women. She strongly believed in “Women’s Health, Nations Health “. So, she started working for women’s health and this was possible only by working in a Govt. sector. She finally joined Aurangabad govt. medical college, in the capacity of medical teacher and is serving for the last 34 yrs. All her life she dedicated herself for Medical education and women’s health and research. During this period, she worked in the different capacities in the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, GMCH, Aurangabad.
During her career she had an opportunity of examining and treating more than 7 lacs of women. Around 1 lac of women were delivered under her guidance. She realized the reason for Indian mothers dying during pregnancy and childbirth. The route cause was a social cause rather than medical for ex. Mother died due to low socio-economic conditions leading to nutritional Anemia and its complications leading to death. She developed the infrastructure, equipment’s and protocols in low resource setting which could help prevent the mothers from dying. Estimation of hemoglobin during pregnancy could help detect many anemic mothers. A drive was taken to prevent and eradicate anemia in pregnant women. This was done through “catch them young policy” through school health education of adolescent girls counselling them regarding the importance of nutrition and menstrual hygiene and estimation of hemoglobin. All the anemic teen age girls were given radical treatment for anemia. This strategy helped in improving hemoglobin of future mothers.
As an obstetrician – Women’s health:
School health programs, Hb estimation, treating nutritional anemia thru injectable iron, Comprehensive abortion care, Family Planning,100% Institutional Delivery, PNC Care, Preventing Eclampsia, Cancer Screening and Prevention, Menopause Clinic, Infertility.
She was the Professor and Head of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Government Medical College and Hospital, Aurangabad, (MS) with a teaching experience of more than 31 years. She underwent special trainings in, advanced Laparoscopic Surgery, Ultrasound, Infertility, High Risk Pregnancy, Colposcopy and Research Methodology. She has special interest in maternal health and many of her innovative approaches have helped in saving lives of mothers. So far, she has successfully supervised and conducted more than one lac of deliveries. She has successfully established a state-of-the-art delivery -room and a High Dependency Unit (HDU) the first of its kind in the state of Maharashtra, for which she was awarded safe motherhood award by the Govt. of Maharashtra on 10th July 2014, the world population day. Her research on why mothers die? was acknowledged by an international journal.
She worked as Medical teacher for 34yrs and as professor & head of the department for 10 years. During the long span of 31 years, she could guide 3500 undergraduate MBBS students around 350 postgraduate students. As a medical teacher she has developed many teaching modules and specially the crash course for MBBS students and post graduate CME for MD students.
MUHS – Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik
- She was elected as chairperson and member of different statutory bodies of the State Medical University, like Senate, Board of studies – undergraduate and postgraduate and faculty of medicine since 2002.
- Due to her commendable contribution in the Medical University, Governor of Maharashtra nominated her as the management council member Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik for the period (2007-2012)
- She was also short listed for the post of Vice-Chancellor MUHS -2016
Contribution in Govt. projects
- Her leadership qualities are evident by her contribution in different projects implemented by Government of India & Government of Maharashtra.
- She runs a number of skill enhancement training programs in her institute like, Basic Emergency Obstetric Care, Comprehensive Abortion Care and Comprehensive Emergency Obstetric care, which consists of training of Medical Officers and nurses, a joint project in collaboration with NRHM and FOGSI, funded by Melinda Gates Foundation.
- She is a Nodal officer for Maharashtra Breast Feeding Promotion Initiative (MBPI) since 1994. Conducted more than 50 workshops on Correct Breast-Feeding Practices which has helped thousands of newborns to survive. Her work on breast feeding has received several awards from BPNI (Breast Feeding Promotion Network of India)
- In the capacity of chairperson of District MTP Committee and District PCPNDT committee she carried a successful mission of counseling programs of doctors who were having a borderline mindset regarding sex determination. This has helped to curb down the child sex ratio of Aurangabad district over a period of 5 years.
She has successfully completed a certificate course in research organized by ICMR in 2014 at KLE Belgaum .
- She was elected as the chairman of clinical research committee of FOGSI (2004-2008.)
- She has a no. of publications in national and international indexed journals to her credit.
- In view of her vast contribution in the field of medical research, she was appointed as the Member of Scientific Advisory Board of Medical Research Council of Maharashtra (MRCM) by the directorate of medical education and research, Govt. of Maharashtra.
- On behalf of FOGSI and Medical University she has, organized more than 50 workshops on research methodology, throughout the country.
- Her work on early diagnosis of ovarian malignancies has been acknowledged by international journal, as a Principal Investigator in STAR research project by Govt. of Maharashtra. She is the PI (principal investigator) of many multicentric trials conducted nation –wide
- The manual on “Essentials of Research methodology” authored by her was awarded the best publication award by FOGSI 2009
- She was appointed as peer reviewer and National corresponding editor of The Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology of India.
- She has contributed more than 20 chapters to various textbooks in obstetrics and gynecology and also authored number of textbooks in obstetrics & gynecology for undergraduate and post graduate students.
- She has edited, FOGSI focuses, a popular quarterly FOGSI publication. She has released many innovative educational C D’s for undergraduate and post graduate medical students on instruments and operative procedures.
Her Major contributions in Professional organizations and the prestigious positions held are appreciable.
- She has the privilege of being conferred Life membership of more than 8 national professional organizations of repute
- At present she is the President of state organization of gynecologist known as , Association of Maharashtra Obstetrics and Gynecological societies .
- She successfully shouldered the responsibility of Vice-president of national organization of gynecologist.
- At an early age of 34 years, she was the Joint organizing secretary of Maharashtra state conference for gynecologists.
- She was organizing chairperson, organizing secretary, convenor and patron of more than 100 national, state and regional conferences.
- She has successfully organized more than 50 workshops on different subjects and more than 30 post graduate CME at different medical colleges in the country.
- She has delivered more than 300 Guest Lectures as National Faculty, 50 keynote addresses, 05 orations and an invited national faculty for First National Satellite FOGSI conference, the first of its kind, in 2004. She has presented more than 100 scientific papers at international and national conferences (out of which many are prize winning)
- Organized more than 100 health camps including diagnostics, early detection of cancer breast, cancer cervix -pap smear and family planning camps. Participated in Public-awareness campaign on HIV, PCNDT, adolescent health, ANC care, aging gracefully, violence against women and save the girl child.
- Public awareness, campaign and rally’s regarding organ donation, cancer awareness, cancer cervix, cancer breast and adolescent health were successfully carried out.
- Rendered free services, in tuboplasty camps for earthquake affected couples in Latur.
- Was the chief coordinator for mega-health camp at Lasur, near Aurangabad where more than 1 lac of patients were examined and 20,000 were later operated surgically.
- Invited faculty at Sydney University for PG certificate course in perinatology,2009.
- Invited faculty at FIGO congress 2000 at Washington DC, USA.
- Visited Sydney University Australia 2009, for approving the International PG certificate course in Pediatrics, in Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik as committee member representing the Vice –Chancellor.
Administrative Contribution as Dean:
- HSS – Hospital Support System during the night to supervise the emergencies and as support to the junior doctors on duty preventing the doctor patient violence.
- 200 bedded MCH Wings, approved by NHM central Govt. of India, for the needy mothers. (2017-18)
- Pradhan mantra swasthya suraksha yojna PMSSY ,200 bedded super specialty block
- Encouraging the class IV by announcing “Bharat Swachata – Abhiyan” award on 15th Aug.
- Academic excellence award to faculties on 26th Jan
- Communication skills workshop
- Founder organizer of post graduate training programs since 1994, in the subject of obstetrics and gynecology
- PICSEP workshops in research for post graduate students
- Solid waste management – organic waste biogas plant, helped to reduce the cost of cooking gas.
- Health checkup camps for prisoners at Aurangabad Central Jail
- UDID and physically handicapped certificate on fast track, No pending certificate.
- Run NirdeshSohala (For the relatives of body donation )
Awards, distinctions and felicitations:
- Awarded the presidents rotating trophy for Aurangabad Obstetrics and Gynecological Society for the year 1998. (this award is given by the Federation Of Obstetrics and Gynecological Societies of India, for the best obs/gyn society of the year)
- Best woman doctor on international women’s day, by Giants Aurangabad.
- Best Baby Friendly Hospital award by Breast Feeding Promotion Network of India.
- Govt. of Maharashtra safe motherhood award July 2014
- MCI-Dr. B.C. Roy National award from amongst the category “to recognize the merit of an eminent medical teacher 2009”. Conferred at the hands of HE Shri Pranab Mukherjee, President of India at Rashtrapati Bhuvan, New Delhi on 1st July 2016
- 3rd March 2017, Felicitated in the hands of Minister of State for Medical Education, Maharashtra Shri. Girish Mahajan at Nagpur during the State Youth Festival Organized by Maharashtra University of Health Sciences. This award was in honor of her first Organ retrieval and donation in Nanded Medical College in Sept. 2016.
- Nov. 2016 Mumbai OBGY Society felicitated her in the hands of Smt. Amruta Devendra Phadnavis & Diana Heyden (Miss world 1997) for her contribution in field of OBGY.
- 3rd Jan 2017 was felicitated with a Memento for being the first woman Dean of Govt. Medical College, Nanded by Kranti jyoti Savitribai Phule, Mahila Vikas Mandal, Nanded.
- Feb. 2017, organizing chairperson and patron of 41st Maharashtra State conference for Obstetricians and Gynecologists. (AMOGS)
- Feb. 2017, organizing chairperson and patron of 41st Maharashtra State conference for Obstetricians and Gynecologists. (AMOGS)
- 8thMarch 2017, “Dr. Kusumtai Chavan Mahila Bhushan Puraskar”, by Mimansa Foundation, Nanded.
- 2017, “JijauPuraskar” by Jijamata Kanya Mahavidyalaya.
- In March 2018 she was awarded with Best Women Officer award by The Nationalist Congress Party (Mahila Congress Party) forher dedication and achievement in the field of Medical Education.
- Considering her dynamism and oratory skills she was invited in as chief guest in many programs.
- June 2018, Limca Book of Records. Instrumental in organizing “Estimation of Hb” of 16,000 women at 15 different centers across the country on the same date and time, with the help of Encure Pharma.
- 28th July 2018: GESTOSIS an international Organization felicitated her, during annual conference at Nagpur, for her commendable work.
- In August 2018 she was awarded for the prestige’ Social Appreciation “Social Gratitude Award” in the field of Medical Education by Matoshri Dr. Kanchan Shantilalaji Desarda College, Aurangabad.
- Government Medical College , Aurangabad was noted in Guinness book of record ,on world heart day when record no. of 500 patients were checked for the blood pressure in 55 mins. This drive was carried out at 42 different centers all over the country.
- Received “Inspiring Gynecologist of West India” for her immense contribution towards the advancement of reproductive health during ET Health world fertility conclave 2019, Mumbai, by times magazine on women’s day march 2019
- “Lords of Planet” award for extra ordinary services for Human Race and Women’s Health, conferred in House of Lords, LONDON on 3rd June 2019.
- In all, she is recipient of international award -1, National Awards 02, Limca Book of Records, Guinness book of record, Zonal Award, State Awards –many, Regional and Local Awards for only and only one cause “Medical Education, Women’s Health and Research”
- Chief Minister of Maharashtra Shri Udhav Thakre facilitation letter as Covid Yoddha in May 2020.
- Chakra Army Warriors to all the healthcare workers on the front line of the coronavirus pandemic 2020.
- Shreyam Foundation facilitation for exceptional work in Covid-19 in 2020.
- THE PRIDE OF FOGSI AWARD received in Nov 2019.
- Minority Front, Aurangabad felicitated on 23 Oct. 2020 for COVID 19 Pandemic situation excellent contribution.
- Felicitated by Memento & Certificate from Lions Club of Aurangabad & Lady Doctor Wing Indian Medical Association, Aurangabad for excellent work in Medical Education Field.
- Lions Club of Aurangabad Midtown A Progressive Model Club felicitated by Memento for COVID 19 Pandemic situation given excellent contribution.
- Felicitated by Memento of KADAK MANDAL, CHRAK SAINIKI YODHA for Excellent contribution in COVID 19 pandemic.
- SHRAYAM FOUNDATION felicitated by certificate for COVID 19 Pandemic as a social responsible for excellent contribution.
- District Congress Committee, Aurangabad, gave Appreciation award for exceptional activities towards covid-19 in society and it's awareness
- UTTARDESHI BHAMHAN SEVA COMMITTEE felicitated by certificate for COVID 19 pandemic for excellent contribution.
- JAMIAT ULMA HIND ARSHAD MADANI, AURANGABAD felicitated by Memento for COVID 19 Pandemic situation.
- Hon’ble minister of Medical Education and health & Cultural State of Maharashtra Shri Amitji Deshmukh especially appreciated the overall management towards the Critical Care Services for covid-19 patients at GMC, Aurangabad. Special award was given on 15-2-2021 during an event at GMCA for felicitation of health care covid warriors.
- Jamaat- ul- Hind Arshad Madani Aurangabad, gave Appreciation award for exceptional activities towards covid-19 for society awareness.
- March 2020 GMCH Aurangabad was recognized as dedicated COVID hospital with 456 beds reserved for COVID out of which 78 beds were for ICCU and ventilators. In the capacity of, Chairman of District Task force committee Aurangabad – conducted more than 12 zoom meetings for doctors throughout the district and Marathwada region and conducted 6 webinars on different issues of COVID. Under her able leadership, so far 4977 total COVID suspect patients were admitted. Around 2100 were covid positive and recovery rate for covid patients was 60 %. For this exemplary contribution for covid patients, she was personally facilitated as Corona warrior by different organization such as Chief Minister Udhav Thakare felicitated COVID Warrior, Chakra Army Warriors, Shrayam Foundation, Corona Yodha - Felicitated by Congress Committee, Bank of Baroda.
- Till today she is a dedicated COVID worker busy with the administration of managing such huge number of COVID patients. During the administration she worked on different aspects like establishing ICCU, Ventilators, Equipment’s, and Liquid Oxygen tanks. The super specialty block of 250 oxygen beds was made functional under her able leadership.